With Thanksgiving Day just a couple of days away, our friends at Weber Grills have put together this a great PDF with some great Thanksgiving Turkey Tips for the Grill. YES, you can make your Thanksgiving Day Turkey on the grill or even smoke it! [See Related: Thanksgiving Recipe and How to For the Grill: Apple - Cider Brined Turkey]
This recipe this recipe featured in Weber’s: Way to Grill. With “5 things you need to know” from beginning to end, as well as step-by-step pictures with directions, you will be on your way to a golden, succulent hickory-smoked turkey that will cement your reputation as the best grill gobbler chef in the world!
Here they are so that you can become king of Thanksgiving!
5) Brining a Day Ahead: Because turkey meat is so lean and bland, some kind of brining is more important. Overnight, in the refrigerator, the salt will draw out some moisture, which will mix with the salt, and then the meat will reabsorb must of that flavorful moisture.
4) Maintaing an Even Temperature: An even grilling temperature in the range of 350 to 400 is also key here. That’s easy enough to achieve on a gas grill, assuming there is plenty of gas in the tank. It’s a bit more challenging with a charcoal grill. Before cooking your first turkey with charcoal, make sure you have some good experiences maintaining a live fire over the course of several hours.
3) Shielding the Breast Meat: Because the breast mea, you should protect the breast and slow down its rate of cooking. I do that by facing the breast down inside a broth-and-vegetable-filled pan for the first hour of cooking.
2) Catching the Perfect Doneness: In a very short period of time, a turkey can turn from most and fabulous to dry and stringy, so it’s imperative that you use an instant-read thermometer and remove the turkey from the grill when the internal temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reaches 170F.
1) Getting Enough Rest: Finally, don’t skip the resting step after your turkey comes off the grill. During that period, the turkey will finish cooking and the juices will redistribute nicely.
Click here to download the full PDF